The ATO has reminded people who earn income in the share economy that they have tax obligations. The type of goods or services you provide, and how much you provide, will determine what you need to do for tax. Popular sharing economy services include:

  • providing “ride-sourcing” services for a fare;
  • renting out a room or a whole house or unit on a short-time basis;
  • renting out a car parking space; and
  • providing personal services, such as creative or professional services like graphic design and website creation, or doing odd jobs like deliveries and furniture assembly.

The ATO notes that you need to get an ABN if you are carrying on an enterprise providing goods and services through the sharing economy, and register for GST if:

  • your turnover is $75,000 or more per year; or
  • you are providing ride-sourcing services, regardless of how much you earn from doing so.

TIP: No matter how much you earn or your reasons for providing goods or services, it’s a good idea to maintain records of your income and expenses, so you can keep track of your activities and deal with tax obligations when they arise. Tax deductions may also be available in certain circumstances. Please contact our office for more information.


Exclusive New Client Offer

Contact our team today to get a FREE 30-minute meeting with one of our expert business accountants, including an ADDITIONAL free Financial Safety Checklist to help you on your journey to financial freedom.